A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Running Scared for Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan has official presented its entry for Düsseldorf and now we have heard all entries but one. As I listen to the Azeri duet I feel plenty of frustration bubbling under the surface, to be perfectly honest.

When Eldar and Nigar were selected, I was wondering how on earth anyone would make these two look credible as a duo. I found Eldar sweet and likeable while I thought Nigar was overenergetic and slightly annoying.

Now, in the new fashion, this is what they look and sound like:



Ell & Nikki - Running Scared (Azerbaijan 2011)

What I find awfully frustrating about this entry is that Azerbaijan, again, clearly is trying to secure success and hopefully victory and in this quest they pay no attention neither to domestic song writers nor local flavours.

They just take their big purse and go out and shop the best song they can find and have someone dress it up to look international.

It's frustrating that they made Ell & Nikki wipe out most of their personalities in order to suit the song the tv company bought for them.

And most frustrating of all: I really, really like it. I think it is a great song that could very well score well in the final.

What can't life ever be just black or white? A little more easy, please?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you!!!
    It is the worst that Azerbaijan could chuse for Contest,

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the beginning of the year, they said their song would be an Azerbaijani one. Now we have a swedish one! I don't understand their way of thinking, we understood that Azerbaijan was rich enough to have a good song, and a good presentation. They see it too much as a competition, while esc is the only contest which has not to be seen as a competition!!

    ReplyDelete