A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tobson Ranking: #20 Iceland

I had my doubts about this song, but in Düsseldorf I just had to resign to it. A sentimental little ditty performed by the right people at the right time.



Sjonni's Friends - Coming Home (Iceland 2011)

You all know the back story about the composer's tragic and unexpected death right before the national final in Iceland, and there was where my doubts came in. I way prefer songs that can stand alone without explanation, without back story.

And then I realised that this song actually does. It isn't quite my cup of tea musically, but it is performed with a warm intensity and it is very easy to like.

Not quite every ingredient in the stage performance is fully to my liking either, but that is not of any great importance.

So I rest my case and admit I was wrong. Well done, Iceland.

My grade: 3 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment