A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Tobson Ranking: #11 San Marino

My first impression was that a talented girl like Senit would do so well had she had a more powerful song to sing. Never trust a first impression, in other words.



Senit - Stand By (San Marino 2011)

This soft little cotton ball of a ballad is so tender and gentle that you hardly notice it the first time you hear it. I think my first impression was shared by quite a few people in Düsseldorf, to be frank.

But it has eaten its way into my conscience and made itself a special little place close to my heart.

Senit is a wonderful performer - warm, radiant, elegant, present - and manages to squeeze every tiny drop of sentiment out of this song without hugging it to death with her vocal chords.

Far too laid back to hit home with the masses voting by phone, but a personal favourite that I will carry with me for many years to come. And - for me - the best out of all non-qualifyers of the 2011 ESC.

So please stand by, San Marino. I don't mind at all.

My grade: 3 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment