A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tobson Ranking: #7 Italy

At first I thought this was a runaway cast member of the Aristocats, but this jazzy number kept growing and growing and growing...



Raphael Gualazzi - Madness Of Love (Italy 2011)

In many ways, this is typical Italian behaviour at Eurovision and the reason we wanted them back in the first place. Their complete ignorance of what we want and expect of them.

Most people were hoping for a very italian pop song, instead we got a most atypical jazz entry.

Raphaele Gualazzi is a rare pearl of a performer who doesn't give the camera a single straight look throughout his entire three minutes and yet it feels like he is watching you the whole time.

And he sings like a god. I love the part where he does the big, ugly note that falls into the trumpet solo. Fantastic.

I always thought this would be one of the songs you remember fondly, but never fall madly in love with. I had to think again. I love the song, the singer, the performance and the whole deal.

Welcome back, Italy. If you keep going like this, we would like you to stay forever.

My grade: 4 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment