A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Germany 1998: Everybody Can Can!

I could say a lot of things about this clip.

For instance, I could say that the 1998 German national final in many ways sounded like a musical madhouse and looked like a freakshow but, in retrospect, was the first serious attempt of bringing Eurovision back to its former glory in Germany.

I heard that the blond girl dancer (who gives the impression of not being able to carry a tune in a bucket) later teamed up with DJ Bobo and was the female vocalist in the 2007 Swiss entry. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I could point out that the presenter is indeed Nena, one of Germany's top stars, who should clearly be taking part instead of hosting.

I could also say that this was the first really scary proof of things falling apart for Ralph Siegel. First you write Dschingis Khan, Theater and Johnny Blue, only to put your name on something as dubious as this?

But I will content myself with stating that this is so wrong on so many levels, but yet so fantastically entertaining. For all the wrong reasons, sure, but entertainment is never out of place.



Ballhaus - Can Can (Germany 1998 national final)

1 comment:

  1. I have also been fascinated over this mega-kitch-act and I seriously believe that it could have been top-3 in Birmingham. Scary, but true.

    ReplyDelete