A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Friday, October 7, 2011

Song Of The Day: Austria 1987

Gary Lux is a real eurovision trooper who sang solo twice, sang in a group once and acted as backing singer no less than three times. He should have a medal for his devotion and endurance.

Not that he ever came home with a real success under his arm. In 1983 and 1985 he was tipped to do a lot better than he did in the end, and in 1987 he only scored a humble eight points.

Rightly so, most people would say. They would use words like "tedious", "insignificant" or "hopeless" to describe this soft little pop ballad. And I have to admit it is no real blockbuster. But I like it anyway. It has a certain something, a touch of je-ne-sais-quoi, that makes me really fond of it.

I like the vague and soft intro, and I like the tone of Gerhard's voice. There is something about the bridge and the saxophone break. And how it finally falls back into the same vague but pleasant little part that keeps running like a red thread through the entire song.

I wouldn't give it twelve points, certainly not. But I would never push fast forward either.



Gary Lux - Nur noch Gefühl (Austria 1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment