A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

ESC rejects: Israel 1989

At the time, being 13, the Israeli entry for Lausanne hit me like a brick on the head.

The sweet tune and the appealing set-up made it my firm favourite for many years to come and I identified very strongly with little Gili, facing the huge responsibility of representing his country.

(To be honest, he could very well be my first eurovision crush ever. But I wouldn't have understood to phrase it like that back then. Enough about me.)



Gili & Galit - Derech ha'melech (Israel 1989)

Nowadays, I find it a tad too sugary for my liking, even if I still recognise good handicraft when I see it.

I would have preferred to look into that wonderful magical parallel universe to find out what perky girl trio Mango could have done to the scoreboard. The song is catchy and the sound far too modern to sound good with the Swiss orchestra.

But could the girls have bettered the very disappointing 12th place of the boy soprano?



Mango - Yedidai (Israel 1989 national final)

1 comment:

  1. As this was only a few years after I was born I had completely forgotten and or have been ignorant of it. It very well have been my "hitting me like a ton of bricks" moment too...

    I'm right now speechless and flabberghasted.

    ReplyDelete