A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Denmark 2012: Soluna Samay to Baku

In the 1980's, Denmark found a real formula for what their eurovision entries should sound like. Year after year, they sent in songs clearly baked in the same cake tin, easily recognisable as Danish eurosongs, and they did pretty well.

For the last couple of years, there has been a bit of a new Danish formula: solid singalongs in a pseudo-modern arrangement, yet with clear retro references to make them more appealing to as many people as possible.

It has worked very well again, with Denmark not missing a final since 2008 and top five placings in both 2010 and 2011. (Although I must admit I haven't quite shared the televoters' enthuasiam on every occasion.)

This year, the Danes have - surprisingly - taken a step away from the formula.

The winning entry is nowhere near as evident as Danish entries tend to be. More simplistic, less eager to be loved, performed by a Danish Anna Rossinelli in a big hat. Intriguing drums and a melody line that owes more than a little to Seal's "Crazy" makes for the most interesting Danish entry in many years.

On a first listening I wasn't convinced, but this entry is slowly unfolding in a very attractive way.

Possibly not a third consecutive placing in the top five, but I'm very pleased with Denmark thinking outside the box.



Soluna Samay - Should Have Known Better (Denmark 2012)

2 comments:

  1. I like the song very much. Good luck DK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same until I sat down to write the review and then realised that in a way it does fit the formula to a certain extent.
    However I am concerned that to many people find that it is a grower and not enough find it instant.

    ReplyDelete