A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Song of the Day: FYR Macedonia 2002

Apologies for the slight inactivity that has ruled this blog lately. Sorry for that, but I hope your new year has started well.

And we start off with a new Song of the Day, and this is a big favourite of mine. In fact, I think this is the best entry ever presented by the country in question.



Karolina - Od nas zavisi (FYR Macedonia 2002)

I could just as well have posted this under another old headline of mine: Songs only I like. It seems eurofans and the general audience alike have a hard time getting their head around this one.

I find it spellbinding, almost hypnotic, and very well delivered by Karolina. From the word go with the suggestive drum beat, to the chanting backing singers, I find this pure class.

Karolina has since blossomed into an even better performer and one of her country's top stars, and she came back to Eurovision five years later to better her scoring considerably with the admittedly more user-friendly "Mojot svet".

But for me, her 2002 effort stands out as a shining pearl in a line-up that felt fresh back then, but somehow failed to stand the test of time.



Karolina - Od nas zavisi (FYR Macedonia 2002 preview)

No comments:

Post a Comment