A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Song of the Day: Switzerland 1985

Back in the 80's, when Eurovision was still commercially successful in the Nordic countries (before the big comedown of the 90's), we had ESC cover versions released on tape.

For many years, these cover versions were my truth and my originals.

And in the 1985 cover cassette, I was always fond of the Swiss entry. I found it catchy and easy to sing along to. In short, a very fun song.

In 1992, I found a sampler album with all the songs in original versions and got to hear the real singers for the first time in seven years. A very happy event in my life, but the Swiss disappointed me.

Later that same year, I got a video copy of the 1985 contest and was even more disappointed with the Swiss. What I always thought would be a quick-paced, snappy entry turned out to be a slack little duet, lacking the forza and attack it had on my cover tape.

Given that it was composed and conducted by a real musical legend, in the shape of Anita Kerr, makes it even more disappointing.

But Pino and Mariella look cute together, and the chorus is still catchy. At least that is something. And good enough for a 12th place.



Pino Gasparini & Mariella Farré - Piano Piano (Switzerland 1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment