A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Tobson's Ranking: #30 Latvia

A nice try, but you need more than a beautiful song to make it at Eurovision.



Anmary - Beautiful Song (Latvia 2012)

The Latvian entry grew into a bit of a pre-contest favourite of mine, thanks to the rather sweet preview. It was easygoing and didn't seem to take itself too seriously.

The good thing about the live performance in Baku is that it didn't take itself too seriously there either. Anmary and her friends sang well, but acted more like a couple of socialities at a cocktail reception rather than a group eager to convince the world of their greatness.

It felt like a little break in the programme, like a premature interval act put on while most countries switch to commercials. It would have needed more punch, more colour, more vibe and more life in order to stand out.

As it is, it is pleasant but bland. And would you vote for that?

My grade: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. Funny, but this song is one of those songs on my playlists that while I'm out walking I belt at the top of my voice with different lyrics for obvious reasons.

    I'm convinced that I'm a better singer!

    ReplyDelete