A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Semi 1: 06 Albania


I'm a fan of free choice of language. I think it is good that every country can decide for themselves what language suits their song better and have a greater shot at being understood by a larger audience. But reaching an audience isn't always stuck in the words you are singing.



Hersi - One Night's Anger (Albania 2014)

First of all I must state that I think Albania's entry is pretty good. It builds nicely and bears echoes from Seal's "Kiss From A Rose" - a rare source of inspiration for eurovision entries. Hersi has an interesting voice and the new arrangement has a good sound. I just feel the song lost something in translation.

Exactly the same happened in 2011: Albania switched to English and suddenly a lot of the emotion ebbed away. I don't feel the performer's presence in the words as much as I did in the original version.

Maybe it will be back in the live version, but in this clip I'd long for some more passion and conviction.

Qualifier: Probably. A good song is a good song and should attract enough votes to beat at least six other countries. Even if it could be better than it is at this point.

My grade: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment