A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Semi 1: 10 Belgium


I'm really glad that people are fond of their mothers. I really think you should. I really love my mother too, you know. I am, however, less than thrilled when people feel the need to express their motherly love in song. It easily becomes a little bit too much.



Axel Hirsoux - Mother (Belgium 2014)

It would perhaps be easy to crack jokes about Axel himself, but that would be a cheap shot. I think Axel has a great voice, even if I would prefer him to turn the volume down a bit. More interpretation, less vocal excess. But he's not the problem.

The problem is the violently pompous nature of the song paired with a set of lyrics that could be specifically written for Norman Bates. These words don't feel heartfelt, they just feel awkward. Even a bit disturbing.

More is more, Krista Siegfrids said last year. But there must be a limit to anything, and this song is the musical equivalent of drowning in mayonnaise.

Qualifier: Yes. People with poor taste are everywhere. They vote too.

My grade: 1/5

5 comments:

  1. To me the biggest problem in this song is the language. If a Flemish singer wants to sing an earnest love song to his mother, he should sing it in Dutch. When he sings it in English he is not singing to her mother but to us wishing us to pick up our phones and vote. The sincerity is out of the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not Flemish but Walloon and his mother doesn't speak Dutch. So he should sing in French. But anyway I just can't stand the lyrics.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know that, but this does not change my point.

      Delete
  2. But this guy looks like you. At least the size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could sing like him. And I also wish you dared leave a comment under your real name, you coward.

      Delete